The most visible sign of a teekkari is the teekkari cap. The technology students in Finland adopted the cap from Sweden in late 1800s. After several generations the cap has now three different versions in use: one in Oulu, second in Lappeenranta and the third one in Otaniemi and Tampere.
In Tampere the teekkaris will start wearing the cap at midnight of 1st of May, the Wappu night. During the summer time the cap can be used freely until it is laid to winter rest on the last day of September. During the winter the cap is used only is special occasions, such as excursions, on the permission of the Student Union board. Although the teekkari cap is almost sacred for teekkaris, it is not ment to be gathering dust on a shelf, but to be used often and with dignity.
The teekkari cap is meant only for degree students in TUT, thus the exchange students may not order nor wear the cap.
Teekkaris can apply for the permission to use the teekkari cap in winter time from the Student Union board, please contact the Teekkaricultural affairs
The teekkari cap's trade mark has been protected by TUT Student Union, and thus no one else may use it for commercial purposes.
Certain rules and regulations have been defined for the use of the teekkari cap.
- The teekkari cap is the trademark for teekkari. Only a teekkari who has been dipped in Tammerkoski during wappu has the right to wear the cap and it may not be given to a person who does not have the right to wear it.
- The cap can be used freely between the first of May and the last of September; during times outside this period, the cap can only be used on the permission of the Student Union board.
- The cap is worn so that the tassel is laying on the chest. The cap should be kept clean and nothing but champagne may be drunk from it. In an emergency, sparkling wine might also be approved. In case teekkari has had too much to drink, the cap should be hidden so that it won't hurt the teekkari cap's reputation.
- Although the teekkari cap is almost sacred for teekkaris, it is not ment to be gathering dust on a shelf, but to be used often and with dignity.
Ordering the teekkari cap
The teekkari cap should be fitted, ordered and paid during one academic year. The earlier the teekkari cap is ordered, the cheaper it is. For fitting and ordering the teekkari cap, go to the Student Union office, "Paula's desk" at Päätalo 2nd floor.
Note! Once the cap is ordered, the size can no longer be changed, so pay attention when fitting the cap.
The pricing of teekkari cap:
- Ordered and paid by 25.11.2013: 105 €
- Ordered and paid by 3.2.2014: 115 €
- Ordered and paid by 17.3.2014: 120 €
- For non-first year students: 140 €
Note! After 17.3.2014 the teekkari caps can no longer be ordered for wappu 2014.